Monday, August 6, 2012

Acceptance

 "Neurodiversity is not about celebrating the autism spectrum, it is about recognizing and accepting the undeniable diversity of the human spectrum." John Scott Holman (who is a 25 year old with autism)

    This quote really got me thinking and also got my husband and I talking. I love those times where Michael and I sit, coffee in hand, spouting out ideas and theories. Time goes by quickly, but there is an electric charge. We are completely enveloped in each other.

   At most basic level, we are all different. Our DNA is all different. That's a great thing. The problem arises if a person isn't able to assimilate into what our culture views as, "normal." I'm sick of normal. What is normal? We took Lukas to the Nature Center Museum in Charlotte yesterday. I watched other children slowly walk from exhibit to exhibit. They closely examine each things they see, looking at Mommy or Daddy for explanation. Lukas on the other hand is a fireball. He is so thrilled to be out, he is like Sonic the Hedgehog. He wants to run all over, giggle hysterically, and it's hard to get him to focus. I really wanted him to look closely at some ducks. Saying, "Lukas look at the ducks!" doesn't work. What did I do? Starting singing Old Macdonald had a farm, ei-ei-o and on that farm he had a DUCK!" Lukas looked at the duck. He took it in, and later that evening he was flipping through a book, saw a duck and said, "DUCK!" So I was the weird lady singing in front of the exhibit? Yep, and my son learned from it. Boo-ya.

  Back to neurodiversity. We aren't all the same. I dare say that it's supposed to be like this. A child born with Down's Syndrome isn't a sad thing. It may be at first for a parent because it's not what they were expecting, but there is a place in the world for each of us. The same goes for a child born with autism. Look, there is debate on whether Albert Eisntein was on the spectrum, but to me it seems obvious. He didn't speak until he was three, he was known for not being a good family man(autsim affects a person socially), he failed at some subjects but exceled in others, was mechincal, had a dishevled look about him (once again, autism affects people socially, so they may not pick up on the idea they need to brush their hair), etc. He was an amazing person and obviously history did have a place for him. It's just too bad that his knowledge was used to help build one of the worst things ever created.

  We are all different, but we are all connected. That's my one conclusion on spirituality. The rest I will never know. It's a mystery. Some people think they know all the answers. They read it in their holy books, they believe it word for word. All I know is that I know nothing except that feeling of connection. Each one of us important. The world and all it's people are diverse. Lukas is who he is and he is exactly how he was supposed to be.

  This may scare other mom's of autistic children away, but I don't buy that the reason my son is different is because he was posioned by mercury with vaccines. I don't think that environmental toxins messed things up along the way. I think autism always existed. Parents just waited it out and sometimes the kid was odd, but made it through life fine. The others were probably labeled with some mental disorder or called "retarded" and sent off to live in asylums. I don't think there is an epidemic of autism, I think there is an epidemic of awareness. It's a double edge sword. It's great for the increasing availability of treatment and services, but it also has turned into a dumping ground. 1 in 54 boys? Wow.

  Another thing I want to make clear is that I not only accept Lukas, I am thankful for Lukas. I would not change him. I am over the woe is me, life dealt me a bad card crap. I have been reading articles and blogs written by people who are autisic and they say they wouldn't change themselves. I found that seriously enlightening. All they want is acceptance. I look back at older blogs and see how far I have come. I know I will have bad days and readers will probably hear about those, but rest assured we are fine.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my Bekki. I am sitting at work with tears in my eyes. All because my "sister" Bekki is an amazing person and mother. I feel like this reaches so many levels. I am so proud of you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bekki, this is such a healthy outlook for you to have. i agree that there is not an explosion of autism, just a greater awareness of it. i can remember the occasional "odd duck" student as i was in elementary school, and realize now they just didn't know to call it "autism". they made it thru because we accepted them despite their "differences". i work with a neurosurgeon who i firmly believe is on the spectrum, but does amazing work on other peoples' brains. he is lacking people skills but is an extremely skilled surgeon. so for lukas, the sky is the limit. with an amazing set of parents, there will be no stopping him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Lukas has a great foundation. He is verbal. Delayed, but verbal. That is awesome. Temple Grandin said to a woman in the audience who asked about her son who labels, but not much else. Her son was about the age of Lukas and Temple said, "He will be verbal. He will learn to communicate verbally." That gave me tremendous hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done. You are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll always be embarassed when you start randomly singing in public.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this =)
    -Rachel I. :)

    ReplyDelete