Monday, August 20, 2012

Autism Speaks

   So it has taken exactly two months to get over the blow of finding out that Lukas is autistic. The last few days I feel completely at ease with it all. I'm not sad, I'm not crushed. I haven't cried for awhile and I am starting to see Lukas just as Lukas. Along with that has actually come relief. When Lukas is lining things up it doesn't freak me out anymore. When Lukas has a fit for no reason I don't get stressed out while snot is pouring out of his nose and he is hyperventilating thinking that something is seriously wrong. Now I just know it's a meltdown and it will pass. I tune it out and eventually 20 min or more later he just stops and it's like it never happened. I received his assessment in detail in the mail. Some of the stuff is hard to read, but honestly, I didn't feel much of anything. No matter the results, he has developed. He is progressing. If I didn't need to keep them for my records, I'd burn them. They serve no purpose for us at home.


  I realize more and more that parents of children who are on the spectrum see things in completely different ways. Our successes seem like nothing to an outsider, but to us, something as simple as eating something new is cause for celebration. If my child says "hi" to someone I am overjoyed. For the parent of a typical child, these things are just second nature.


  I have been back on my spiritual journey again and have been reading things by the Dalai Lama. Everyone always asks what the point of life is. The Dalai Lama answers this question bluntly. The point of life is to be happy. I think I agree. I think my purpose in life is to help mold and shape my son into being the best person he can be. All I wish for him is happiness. I know the first step is to be happy myself and I am getting there. Being at our happiest takes work, especially for a person like me who can view things in a very dark manner. Part of it's my personality, but it can be worked on, for sure.

  On 10/27/12 Lukas, Michael and I will be walking in an Autism Speaks walk to promote research, awareness and compassion for those on the Autism Spectrum. Our team is Team DeAntonio. Of course, anyone who wants to join us on this walk is more then welcome. We are trying to raise money and our goal is $500. This money does not go to us personally, but for Autism Speaks. Autism Speaks in a great organization that funds research and advocates for people like us. Please help us reach our goal. No amount is too small.

http://www.walknowforautismspeaks.org/carolinas/lukasdeantonio

2 comments:

  1. When is the walk? I can't donate much, but will donate something before the walk :)
    And hope this makes you feel better and know you are not the only one who has a kid freak out over something unknown to you .....or once they can verbalize it....something that to most people would be ridiculous.....Charlie decided last night to freak over the greenish blue stain in the shower....to the point of me dragging him into the shower to clean him and him screaming....Lukas is freaking out over something.....just wait till he tells you what it is......lol......at first it will be great because you'll think....awesome....he can finally tell me.....but then you'll be like....WTF :) Hope your having a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Dalai Lama doesn't have bills to pay. JK. I love you.

    ReplyDelete