Friday, September 7, 2012

I-Pads, pigs and sheep

   We took the plunge today and ordered Lukas an I-Pad. This is not a purchase made on the whim, nor does getting the I-Pad have anything to do with how cool I think it may be for me. This is all for Lukas. Before Lukas was found to be autistic, I saw a segment on 60 minutes about autistic kids being able to learn and communicate with I-Pads. They wouldn't pay attention to their teachers with books, papers, etc, but when the teacher would teach them with the I-Pad, they all of a sudden started answering questions with the I-Pad, pointing and labeling and so on.

   When we just thought Lukas had a speech delay, we wanted to try a Kindle with him. Lukas' grandpa DeAntonio bought it for him and let me tell you, Lukas loved it. He learned how to operate it, would label things I could never get him to point out in a book, and started to answer me with the sound when I would ask, "What sound does the dog make?" and so on with other animals. We realized that Lukas not only knew what a truck was, he also knew what a tractor, bus, boat, bike, motorcycle and tons of other mechanical things you can ride on were. He could distinguish between birds like a penguin, owl, toucan. It was amazing. Unfortunately, we lost the Kindle on a vacation. I actually cried at it's loss. Lukas even lost some of his animal sounds from his vocabulary with it's loss. It wasn't just a Kindle for us. It was a tool! A serious learning tool!



   I am not kidding you that when Lukas sees an I-Pad commerical on TV he even stops and is intrigued by the commercial. The graphics just pull him in. Even the Apps on my Samsung phone bring out language in him. A story of the Three Little Pigs on my phone has taught Lukas what a pig is. He says pig all the time. He points pigs out on TV. He snorts like a pig. I spent so much time pointing out pigs in books to no avail and what works? Playing with the app with the pigs on it. He brings me my phone all the time and requests the app by saying, "Pigs." It's not just mimicking, either. It's full out learning. And hey, he is even using language to communicate a request!

   The same goes for television. We are warned all the time of the dangers of television for kids. The American Academy of Pediatrics says kids shouldn't have ANY television before age 2 and even after, very limited. I can't tell you how much Lukas has learned from TV. We have a DVD now that teaches colors and Lukas stands there and yells enthusiastically along with the TV, "RED! YELLOW! GREEN! BLUE!" I know, I know. This is mimicking, right? Not so. On quite a few occasions Lukas has walked up randomly and picked things up and said their color. He pulled a yellow book off the shelf yesterday and said, "Yellow." In the tub the other evening he picked up a foam letter and said, "green." I have worked with him also, but I tell you in his case this learning has come from the DVD. The APA can take some of their rules and shove them where the sun doesn't shine. They've created a whole generation of moms who are so intent on following all the "rules" they have turned into anxious wrecks, second guessing all their choices, feeling like they are inadequate as mothers, etc. I know, because I have been one of them. Lukas has taught me that in parenting you have to break rules and go with your gut. All the parenting magazines that come in the mail for free? Straight to the trash. How about those lovely articles I get in email about "What your child should be doing." DELETE! Knowledge is good, but when are we just going to trust our instincts? I guess since my kid walks to the beat of a different drum I know these things don't apply to me, but even before that, I think they were sometimes negative.

   I've jumped around a bit, but I guess the point I am trying to make is that all kids are capable of learning, they just have to learn in their own way. Lukas is still very young, but I feel for certain he does not have any cognitive deficits. I think he just develops differently, learns differently, and will always do things on his terms. While some will see this image as having a negative connotation, I think of Lukas as my little black sheep and that's ok because I have always felt like one myself. I have struggled socially and still feel many times like the odd duck out. It doesn't really bother me, though. In fact, for years I was a proud loner. I never got lonely, either. Michael was always enough. I like people more now, but I still have to make a flat out conscience decision to be social. Being social won't come easy for Lukas either. He will have to be taught. Maybe we can teach each other.


*****A PUBLIC THANKS TO MY MOM AND DAD FOR CHIPPING IN TO MAKE THE I-PAD HAPPEN*******




  
 

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are getting that for him. I know G learns a ton from the ipad and while I don't let him have it a ton, I think that it is a great tool. I think the thing with TV, ipads, phones, etc is how the parent uses them. You are not using them to raise Lukas, you are using them to help teach in a way that he enjoys and that he understands. Just like the internet can be both a positive and negative thing depending on how you choose to use it.
    I have gone on too long, but I am so happy that you were able to get this for Lukas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish the blog had a "like" button like on FaceBook! lol I'm so glad he's getting an iPad! Have to admit though...I'm a little jealous! I've wanted one for a long time. My little iTouch is ok (I use it pretty exclusively for work), but the larger screen would be so much better! Oh well!! :)

    Oh yea...this is supposed to be about Lukas!! :) Seriously....I agree....however he will learn the best is the way you need to go!! I thank you too, mom and dad! ;)

    ReplyDelete